Saturday 27 July 2013

First Official Chinese Classes

I am currently at the university here in Barbados for a science programme. Even though the programme is geared towards creating scientists we have to take a humanities class, an entrepreneurship class and a Mandarin class.
The Mandarin classes are three sessions weekly for three weeks. This week we learned the different tones and some basic introductory phrases. Most of it I knew already from my failed attempt to self study Mandarin and with obvious help from Taiwanese drama.
Today we had to introduce ourselves to the class. My introduction was quite short but I concentrated on getting the tones correct. The others tried getting more information about themselves while I only used what was taught in class. I seemed kinda lazy... welll...anyhow my presentation was successful and I was the only person to get an applause .*blushes* Trying to get the correct tones made me sound more native. I was so proud of myself. Maybe I will restart learning Mandarin.....
***  Sometimes people describe second tone as a question being asked, but thinking of it like that it was hard for me to apply to a word. I went over the second tone sound in my head and realised it more specifically sounded like "Why?" (well at least how I say "why" with my accent .It is more broken into two (why-i-)than just (y) ). Then I remembered hearing something similar it was from Learn Chinese with YangYang but she used "what" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment